Tips - Dos and Don'ts
- If you know a windstorm is coming, secure patio furniture
and loose items which may collide with other objects during the
storm. Tie trampolines to other items that are cemented into the
ground, such as basketball standards.
- Notice a downed telephone pole that has damaged your house
- If siding has blown loose, contact Gant Insurance
Restoration to secure it and prevent further damage.
- If roof is partially or fully stripped, contact Gant
Insurance Restoration to secure it and prevent any water from
entering the household.
Do Not ...
- Do not go out in the wind.
- Do not touch downed electrical or telephone pole wires.
- Do not approach any object outside the home that may pose
danger, especially sagging trees with broken limbs.
- Do not attempt to remove trees on houses or other
structures. This is extremely dangerous and will cause more
damage. Contact Gant Insurance Restoration and our
experienced and professionally trained personnel will remove
the tree and secure the structure.
When dealing with damage due to water, time is of the
essence. With the growing concern of mold in today's
society, it is important to contact Gant Insurance
Restoration to insure the water damage is properly and
quickly remedied. Immediate Attention prevents mold!
- Contact Gant Insurance Restoration to handle wet
furniture, carpeting, and to expedite the drying process
by installing fans and dehumidifiers to promote better
- Open furniture drawers, along with cabinet and
closet doors to enhance drying.
- Move photos, paintings and art objects to dry
- If damage occurs during winter, leave heat on, if in
summer, use air conditioner to promote circulation and
- Place aluminum foil squares under furniture legs to
prevent carpet staining.
- Wipe water from wood furniture after removal of
lamps and tabletop items.
Do Not ...
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is
wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are
sagging from retained water. Contact Gant Insurance
Restoration immediately to prevent any further
damage and injury.
- Do not use an ordinary vacuum to remove
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet
carpet or wet floors.
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the
electricity is still on.
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without
professional help. Lifting the carpet incorrectly
could promote shrinkage. Contact Gant Insurance
Restoration to insure proper drying technique is
Fire and Smoke Damage
- Clean and protect chrome trim on kitchen
appliances with a light coating of Vaseline or
- Open windows for ventilation.
- Change furnace filter.
- Empty freezer and refrigerator completely if
electricity is off and prop doors open. Comprise
a list of food being disposed.
- Clean and protect smoked bathroom faucets,
tub fittings, and towel bars with light coating
- Pour antifreeze in toilet bowls, sinks, and
tubs to prevent freezing if heat is off in the
- Wash plants with water and small amount of
dish soap on both sides of leaves.
- Call Gant Insurance to deal with heating
- Remove pets to clean environment and bathe
with pet hygiene products and conditioner.
Do Not ...
- Do not clean walls, ceilings or other
surfaces. Improper cleaning supplies and
techniques will cause further damage to
- Do not use upholstered furniture.
- Do not use Televisions, stereos, or
electrical appliances until cleaned and
- Do not clean smoked garments. Improper
cleaning may set smoke and odor. Contact
Gant Insurance Restoration to handle dry
cleaning as not all cleaners are trained and
specialize in this area of damage.
- Do not use exposed food items and canned
goods which have been exposed to excessive
- Do not wait to call for professional
help from Gant Insurance Restoration.
Calling promptly will insure a swift
restoration process and eliminate further
- Hose down or wash egg damage from
building exterior as soon as possible.
- Wipe up freshly spilled food from
carpets and fabrics with a dampened
- Make a list of all items missing or
- Save all wood chips and fragments
from furniture, porcelain or art
Do Not ...
- Do not attempt to remove ink,
paint, or cosmetic stains.
- Do not operate damaged
- Do not use household cleaning
products on fabrics, upholstery or
carpet. Stains can become set.
Contact Gant Insurance Restoration
for professionally trained cleaning
personnel to clean your items.
- Do not get angry. Stay calm
and contact Gant Insurance
Restoration to help you through this
- Call Gant Insurance
Restoration as soon as possible.
- Keep children and pets out
of contaminated areas.
- Frequently wash your hands.
Do Not ...
- Do not track
contaminated material into
- Do not attempt to
decontaminate areas with
over the counter sprays as
they may not fully disinfect